This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to make a purchase we may earn a commission. Thanks.
Happy Thursday Everyone! Thanks for stopping by the kitchen today. Today we are going to share with you ways to cook in the kitchen with your children. Cooking with kids teaches them math skills, how to follow directions, healthy eating and it gives you a chance to bond with them. Take a look at these tips and feel free to share some of your own.
- Let your kids pick out vegetables to try.
- Allow kids to plan out the menu or the recipe.
- Hygiene first, teach them the benefits of washing their hands while cooking.
- Set up a work area just for them.
- Explain the rules of the stove, and hot surfaces.
- Have them read each set of directions out loud.
- Practice math skills as they measure and stir ingredients.
- Teach them to share the process with siblings and /or friends.
- Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes with bread.
- Decorate sandwiches with their favorite veggies.
- Try dishes from other cultures to teach foreign language or history.
- Dress for the occasion: an apron or a mini chef’s hat will do the trick.
- Give your kids their own set of plastic measuring cups and spoons.
- Have fun!
We hope you have picked up some tips to share with the children in your life. Do you have any additional tips? Please feel free to share them with us.
Kimberlee SSeptember 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm
That’s great! I’m glad you enjoyed this post. I received my own plastic measuring cups as a kid and loved them.
Kim Kelly - Liv LifeAugust 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm
Found your blog through a comment on LinkedIn (re – cookbooks), and this post caught my eye! You have wonderful tips for kid, but the one that stuck with me was the “give your kids their own set of plastic measuring cups and spoons”. My daughter is now 13, and STILL uses the pink set she received over 10 years ago!